“Today is a solemn and sad day. For the third time in a little over a century and a half, the House Judiciary committee has voted articles of impeachment against the president for abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.” -Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), December 13, 2019
The Judiciary Committee in the U.S. House of Representatives made it official on Friday. Voting along party lines, members passed two articles of impeachment.
1) The two articles of impeachment are: a) abuse of power; b) obstruction of Congress.
2) Trump is only the fourth president in history to face impeachment.
3) Republicans on the Judiciary Committee voted against impeachment
4) Democrats on the Judiciary Committee voted for impeachment.
5) The final vote for each article was 23-17.
6) A vote on articles of impeachment by the full U.S. House may be held next Wednesday, December 18, 2019.
7) If it passes the full House, it moves to the U.S. Senate and a trial will take place in a chamber where Republicans are in the majority.
8) Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has said “there is zero chance the president will be removed from office.”
“It’s a witch hunt. It’s a sham. It’s a hoax.” -Donald J. Trump
Member of 116th U.S. House Judiciary Committee:
-Washington Post: Live impeachment updates